T: 020 8566 6246
Development of Greenford is almost exclusively 20th century.
It was described in the House Counties Directory of 1845 as ‘very secluded in the bosom of the beautiful vale of Middlesex’ and had a population of 588. Until the 20th century, there were no main roads to the village at all and then a network of arterial roads and railways around London led to the rapid industrialisation and residential development of Greenford in the 1930s.
The Bridge Hotel is firmly part of the 1930s, retaining its original magnificent mock 'jacobethan' style bar in a splendid curve and with the original wood panelling. It was first opened in 1937.
It was one of two licensed premises built by the same developer, one to be called the Bridge and the other the Greenford. Unfortunately, the names were accidently transposed on the licence application forms and that is why the Bridge Hotel is nowhere near a bridge, though a flyover on the A40 now runs part the building.
A painting of the original bridge at Greenford now hangs at the Bridge Hotel. Young's ran it as a pub and off-licence until 1989, when it was redeveloped and 68 modern bedrooms and a conference centre were added. It reopened in May 1990 as the first in a series of hotels to be built by the company.
The original pub and restaurant have been retained alongside the hotel, with the bars restored to their former glory.